As the seasons change and temperatures rise, your pipes begin to expand and any winter damage becomes apparent. Frequent puddling, large water stains, discoloration, bad smells, high water bills, and low water pressure are all signs you may have a cracked or burst pipe.
If you have a burst pipe, it is important to act quickly to reduce any water or mold damage to your home and save water. Give the plumbing experts at T.J. Huggard Plumbing a call right away!
Causes of Cracked Pipes:
- Corrosion – pipes can be weakened by rust and a pH imbalance in your water. Over time, your pipes can wear down and eventually crack, leak, or burst.
- Clogs – as the pressure builds around a large clog in a pipe, eventually it becomes too much for the pipe to handle and causes a burst or crack.
- Freezing – during the cold months, your pipes may freeze or become rigid. When temperatures in the pipes drastically change, like when you use the hot water, this can cause pipes to burst. Be sure to keep your pipes warm to prevent busts or cracks during the winter.
What To Do When You Have a Cracked Pipe:
- Turn Off Main Water Supply – the most important thing you can do is to stop the flow of water to the burst pipe. Turn off your main water supply until you can get the cracked pipe repaired.
- Drain the Faucet – after turning off the main water supply, turn on the faucet to drain all the water and pressure out of the pipe.
- Clean Water & Dry Area – be sure to also clean up the water from the burst pipe and dry the area to prevent mold growth.
- Call a Plumber – give our team of plumbers a call! We will professionally repair your burst or cracked pipe and ensure your home’s plumbing is running as it should be.
Our team of plumbers at T.J. Huggard Plumbing is experienced with repairing burst pipes and can provide immediate service. We are proud to serve our American Fork, Utah community and to be a local business.